N.Korea Offers To Restore Inter-Korean Hotline, Slams The U.S.
North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un said he is willing to restore severed inter-Korean hotlines next month, but accused the United States of proposing talks without changing its “hostile policy” to the country, state media KCNA reported on Thursday.
Mr. Kim made the remarks at the reclusive country’s rubber-stamp parliament, the Supreme People’s Assembly, which gathered for a second day to discuss the country’s political, economic and social agenda.
North Korea this week test-fired a previously unseen hypersonic missile, joining a heated race led by major military powers, and again demanded that Seoul and Washington scrap their “double standards” over weapons development.
Kim expressed his willingness to reconnect inter-Korean hotlines starting from October, while criticising the South’s “delusion” over what it calls military provocations from the North.
North Korea severed the hotlines in early August in protest against joint South Korea-U.S. military drills, just days after reopening them for the first time in a year.
The decision to reactivate the lines is to help realise the expectations and desire of the entire Korean nation” for recovery and durable peace in cross-border relations, Mr. Kim said.
We have neither aim nor reason to provoke South Korea and no idea to harm it, he said, according to the official agency.
It is necessary for South Korea to promptly get rid of the delusion, crisis awareness and awareness of getting harmed that it should deter the North’s provocation, he added.
But Mr Kim took a tougher tone toward Washington, accusing President Joe Biden’s new administration of “employing more cunning ways and methods” in pursuing military threats and a hostile policy towards North Korea, while still offering talks.
Yesterday, South Korean military revelead, that on Tuesday North tested, what it appeared to be, its first hypersonic missile.