Libya's Conflicting Sides Stop Peace Talks after Attack
The rebels lead by General Haftar troops announced that the attack on the port was aimed at a weapons and ammunition depot.
After an attack on the port of Tripoli, talks between the Libyan civil war parties are on hold. The internationally recognized government said it would no longer participate in negotiations to rescue the shaky ceasefire in Geneva after General Chalifa Haftar's attack in Eastern Libya. The international community must first take a clear position against Haftar and the countries that support him. Negotiations for the North African civil war country through the United Nations had only continued on Tuesday.
On Tuesday afternoon, however, two Tripoli ports were attacked with more than 15 missiles. According to the Libyan Ministry of Health, three civilians were killed and five others injured. "There can be no peace under bombing," the unit government said.
The press office of Haftar's troops announced that the attack on the port was aimed at a weapons and ammunition depot. The idea was to weaken arrived from Syria mercenaries who fought on the side of militias from Tripoli for the internationally recognised government. Turkey confirmed that a Turkish ship in port had been fired at. The government in Ankara recently sent several hundred rebel fighters from Syria to Libya and provides Tripoli with additional weapons. Haftar in turn receives support from the United Arab Emirates, Egypt, France and Russia.
A civil war broke out in Libya in 2011 after the overthrow and killing of ruler Muammar al-Gaddafi. A ceasefire has been in force in the country since January, but it is repeatedly violated. At the Libya conference in Berlin in January, the military committee was decided by five representatives each from al-Sarradsch and Haftar. The committee is to negotiate how the fragile ceasefire can be converted into a stable ceasefire.